Bonnie
Bonnie, Psychologist
Experience:  and pediatric nurse practitioner with 30 years of experience counseling parents.
37122071

My seven year old will not listen when told to stop behavior

Customer Question

My seven year old will not listen when told to stop behavior that is against the rules. when I finally do get his attention he shouts yells and talks back. He only seems to do this to my husband I. We have tried time outs, restricting privilege, penny rewards and taking away penny's. We also tried discussing how it makes us feel but he seems to yell more or become hysterical.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Bonnie replied 6 years ago.
So he follows the rules at school? Was this a sudden change in behavior?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes very good at school. He has been progressively getting worse since summer started but since back in school he has been a lot worse
Expert:  Bonnie replied 6 years ago.
Seven year-old children are not very good at expressing their feelings. Instead they tend to act out with behavior. There may be something bothering him that he is unable to verbalize. It may be related to an interaction with a peer or sibling. It may be that something is going on at school. (Is the work too hard for him?) Since he just acts out at home, it means it is a safe place for him to do this. It is good that he is able to remain in control at school but it is "at a cost"......he let's it all out at home. Try to find out what may be bothering him. Asking him may not work, but ask others who observe him (teacher). If this continues, a child therapist may be able to help him express his emotion through play therapy or art or even through talking.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for your earlier response, I am going to check with his teacher. I was also wondering if albutoral could cause behavioral changes, He has been using his inhaler more this summer and a lot recently?
Expert:  Bonnie replied 6 years ago.
Yes, that is definitely a possibility. Talk to the doctor about this because I am told there are some new inhalers which do not cause behavior changes. Good thought!