Bonnie
Bonnie, Psychologist
Experience:  and pediatric nurse practitioner with 30 years of experience counseling parents.
37122071

Hi, I worry about my daughter,who is 12, she does not make

Hi, I worry about my daughter,who is 12, she does not make the effort to make friends and she has given up all her hobbies since she has been at high school. She just like being at home She appears happy and is doing well at school. She has always backed away from the pretty bitchy girls. She is not one of the 'popular girls' to use her words. She is pale skinned and strawberry blonde but has a pretty face and people have told me they think she is a stunner . She has had some bad experiences with friendships in the past... lots of manipulation. She does have a best friend but she doesn't even make the effort with her all the time. She does have friends at school but I have seen her take a back seat with the bitchy girls for a quite life and I don't want her to go through her life letting people get in her way. I know it's all a cliche and I am sure she'll be ok but can you reasure me that it is quite typical?   
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Bonnie replied 6 years ago.
Hello, Sorry you did not get an answer sooner.

Children (people) have different temperaments which mix differently with other people. From what you describe, your daughter has a quiet, shy, laid back temperament. Like others with this temperament, she prefers one-on-one relationships and likes being alone some too. This life-style fits her personality. I do not see it getting in the way of what she wants to do because she prefers it as it is.

Regarding, giving up previous hobbies: this is common at this age for children to step away from previous interest. Some come back later to the hobby and some go on to do new things. This too is about her personality and preferences.

So I suspect you are correct, that she will be OK.