proexpert37
proexpert37, Educator/Life Coach
Experience:  Teacher 20+ years, Parent, Expert Mentor
49595756

My daughter is 15. We moved away from the town in which she

My daughter is 15. We moved away from the town in which she grew up. We moved 250 miles away last year. This was between her 8th grade and freshman year. She is still very unhappy and resentful. She says she cries herself to sleep everynight and that our current town and her current school have absolutely no redeeming qualities. She says the kids here are not as friendly as back "home" and our downright mean. I know these to be an exaggeration; but, I can't argue that it is how she feels most of the time. Her despondence is so heartwrenching at times that we seriously consider moving back and foregoing the new jobs that are the best jobs we've ever had. Your input would be greatly appreciated.
The teen- age years are the most trying years for parents. A Pastor once told me that teen-agers see things as 100x worse than they really are. Sympathize with your daughter as much as you can. Let her know her know that you love her very much. However, these are trying times and having a good job and being able to keep a good job is so important. You can always have her try and get counseling either at church or with a pediatric counselor. She could really express her feelings there but it may take time for her to open up to a complete stranger. In either case, she will receive coping strategies. I know that it must be hard but she will get through this. Maybe from time to time, invite her friends from the old neighborhood over unless it is too far away. I feel for you and your pain. I really do. Just keep being there for your daughter to help her through these times.