Bonnie, Psychologist
Experience:  and pediatric nurse practitioner with 30 years of experience counseling parents.

I have a 21 month old who speaks in full sentences - 10-15

I have a 21 month old who speaks in full sentences - 10-15 word sentences and huge vocab, at least 1000 words and probably more like 2000. He also does stuff like 30 piece jigsaw puzzles - not all on his own, but with help he will sit there for an hour working on it.
Oh, and he has known his colors and shapes since he was about 15 months old - he says stuff like "purple pentagon" when he is playing with his shape sorter. He can count (real counting) up to 20 and is starting to say stuff like "That's an upside down M!" when he sees a W, or "Two O's" when he sees a word like "boot".

This is not the result of teaching effort on our part. If anything, I have tried to emphasize physical play over intellectual.

I am worried about school for him. I am also worried about friends - he is already trying to talk to other toddlers the way he talks to adults and they just stare at him. Any suggestions?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Bonnie replied 6 years ago.
Hi, Your son certainly sounds like he is headed for the Gifted and Talented label. Children with G&T often have social problems so your concern is realistic. Unfortunately, our present school system is concentrating on No Child Left Behind movements and G&T services have been neglected.

Your intuitive approach to make sure his gifts are balanced with motor activity is good. You may also need to set up social situations (play dates) with slightly older children (3 or 4) so that he can develop social skills.

AS he gets older there will be further challenges. If you search key words Gifted and Talented and Social Skills you will find information and social support for yourself.

Good luck.