Bonnie, Psychologist
Experience:  and pediatric nurse practitioner with 30 years of experience counseling parents.

My brother is a 24 year old disabled adult. Our mother had

My brother is a 24 year old disabled adult. Our mother had guardianship of him and was listed as payee on his SSI. She recently passed away. How do I become his legal gaurdian?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Bonnie replied 6 years ago.
I am so sorry for your loss. You can get the payee changed soon by contacting the social security office (you may have known that). To change the guardianship, you will need to petition the courts and obtain the assistance of an attorney who specializes in guardianship issues. If you can find the attorney that assisted your mother, a simple call to him/her may be enough to file the changes without too much effort.
Please let me know if I have missed the intent of your question.

Good luck.