Bonnie, Psychologist
Experience:  and pediatric nurse practitioner with 30 years of experience counseling parents.

My 9 year old daughter is afraid to be by herself. She even

My 9 year old daughter is afraid to be by herself. She even tries to leave her bathroom door open at public stalls. Baths and bedtimes are all battles if she is by herself. She always runs out of rooms when she is by herself. She slept with us until she was 6 and has always needed alot of attention, compared to our 2 year old son.
Should I absolutely insist she sleeps alone and baths alone? What are some good techniques to help her be alone better?
1. Decide together with her to work on this problem.

2. Change the situation gradually (in bath tub for 5 minutes alone and gets reward, then 10 minutes and gradually increase to entire bath alone. When able to do this: BIG REWARD;

3. For sleep, same thing. Stays in her bed whole night....reward waiitng in the morning.

4. Reassure her and gets a book to read her about children who are afraid and what they do to cope. check Amazon or Imagination Press for such books;