Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Family Counselor
Experience:  Parenting Workshops, Teacher, PHD Clinical Psychology, 30 yrs. Exp. 4 Children
14832673

what is appropriate for a single father of 6 year old daughter

what is appropriate for a single father of 6 year old daughter for having his girlfriend from out of town stay overnight?

Hi and welcome, The best way to entertain your girlfriend is for the two of you to go away for the night. There are no "rules", you have to look at your own situation and decide. If your daughter knows your girlfriend and has spent time with her before it probably wouldn't be a big deal for her to stay. If this is a new friend I would not advise it, it's too transient..

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
This is a situation that has already occurred. My girlfriend stayed overnight while my daughter and I were staying with my mother at my mother's home. My girlfriend slept in another room and not with me. My daughter slept in a separate bed but in the same room as I slept. My mother was also with us during the family outings and activities. It was for one day and one morning following. However my ex is having a fit. I need your expert opinion.

Hi, different spin on your question. You did nothing wrong, in fact you did all the right things. Your ex is angry and this is a pretty common situation to be in after a split up. Don't engage her in an argument over it. Just simply state that you know what is right and wrong, and you had your daughter's presence in mind when you made the plans. Life goes on after divorce.