Bonnie
Bonnie, Psychologist
Experience:  and pediatric nurse practitioner with 30 years of experience counseling parents.
37122071

My husband and I have primary custody of a 10 year old daughter,

Customer Question

My husband and I have primary custody of a 10 year old daughter, I just found out she has a face book account ant went to it and found among her favorite shows "True Blood" and "Vampire Diary's". She takes alot of baths, 3-5 times daily. As an RN I told my husband I thought something is wrong with this and she has a "melt Down " if she is not able to bathe. We would love to have complete custody but need more proof. Her birth mother has another daughter who she does not have custody either. Should we be concerned or am I over reacting? I, personally, am appalled by this show as I am a devote christian..
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Bonnie replied 6 years ago.
Hi Thank you for trusting JA with your question. Sorry it has taken so long for a reply and I hope I can help. The vampire stories are somewhat faddish with children these days. Although it is usually the teens. From a religious standpoint it is just a phase and probably nothing to worry about. However since the religion you are raising her in may have some issues it is surely ok to educate her about this or have clergy do it.

I am more worried about the frequent bathing and how upset it makes her if she cannot. This sounds like an OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder) symptoms which denotes unusual level of anxiety. This alone warrants a mental health evaluation especially if there are other OCD behavior and/or you see her as a highly anxious child.

Does this make sense to you?

Edited by Bonnie on 8/31/2010 at 11:33 PM EST