Dr. G.
Dr. G., Psychologist
Experience:  Licensed Psychologist in the state of Minnesota

I cant take my child in public anymore without a it being

I can't take my child in public anymore without a it being a very stressful trip. I mean it can be unreal. He crawls out of buggy and wants to push. Hits and scratches and will not listen to reason. With the other advice I've gotten I hope it will filter down to every event but int he mean time. What do I do? I hear all the time about what not to do but not much on the to do list of my actions.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 6 years ago.
How old is the child?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
O I'm sorry I thought maybe my stream of question with with my new question. He will be 3 in Nov.
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 6 years ago.
If you can leave him at home with someone then I first say do that. If you are not able to do that then here is what you do. On the car ride there and while parked in the parking lot you tell him exactly and specifically what behaviors will not be tolerated. You have him repeat it. You tell him that if he behaves in this way then the consequence will be going home and being in his room for the rest of the night. Have him repeat this. Then when you are in the store give him one reminder about the consequence if he starts to misbehave. If he continues then you follow through with the consequence. And keep following through until he gets the picture that there are severe consequences if he misbehaves. Try that and keep up with the plan.