Bonnie, Psychologist
Experience:  and pediatric nurse practitioner with 30 years of experience counseling parents.

I have a 20 y.o. daughter who had to take a leave of absense

I have a 20 y.o. daughter who had to take a leave of absense from college due a severe depression caused by some non academic episodes that occured. While on anti-drpressants she expedrienced a manic episode and was diagnosed as being bipolar. She was on meds for about a month and about 2 months ago decided that the side effects were not worth it. She has been symptom free, but my problem is what do I do now as a parent. She likes visiting her friends and going on the computer, etc.,but I don't see any motivation to move on with her life as long as we are supporting her. I don't see kicking her out of the house as a viable option. She has been through a tramatic episode in her life and she has been home about 9 months. I can't seem to light a fire under her to set goals, follow through on stuff, etc. Any advice for dealing with a child that is bipolar, but thinkiing things will just work out for her even though she doesn't seem to work on making things happen for her? Actions speak louder than words, but any advice I give her sounds like a lecture or that I trying to run her life.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
Since your daughter has NO self-motivation and it is worse of you try to intervene, it would be best to get an outside person involved. With her diagnosis, she would be eligible for the services of your State Vocational rehab agency ( in Wisconsin it is called Division of Vocational Rehab). They will help find her education or employment suitable to her "disability". To motivate her to go, make it a condition of living with you. Start the application process yourself if you must.

She may also be eligible for Social Security can apply online:

Good luck.