Dr. G.
Dr. G., Psychologist
Experience:  Licensed Psychologist in the state of Minnesota

How do I help my son get out into the job market in an already

Customer Question

How do I help my son get out into the job market in an already stress out national jobless rate? On line apps are a dime a dozen with little to no response, he is 19 years old and tying to make some money to go to college, but it is "easier" for him to just hide in the safety of his parents home! He would spend all day on computer games if I would let him, and everyday is a fight to get him out there job hunting. I know he is depressed because he isn't getting any positive feedback, but he has to keep pressing on. But I'm just his mom, what do I know. I don't know if he's really depressed, the job market just sucks, or if he's just lazy. Help!
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 6 years ago.
When I was his age I went to businesses and asked if they were hiring. I didn't wait for things to happen I made them happen. Get rid of the games and let him know that he either needs to go to school, work, or get out. Take all the luxuries away from him and let him make the choice. At 19 years old he needs to be responsible and not picky about a job. Stop nagging and lecturing him and just make it very uncomfortable for him living in your house until he starts to pull his weight and act responsible. If he doesn't like the new rules then he can find another place to live.