DocAnn, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Physician with fellowship training in child and adolescent psychiatry. Parent of two children.

I have a daughter who is 32yrs. old. She has moved ou and moved

Customer Question

I have a daughter who is 32yrs. old. She has moved ou and moved back for 5 times now. She doesn't work.She acts as if she is 17. She is very wild and free. My husband and I are in det.because of her. We don't know what to do anymore. She is also a former drug addict.She doesn't pay her bills.She tells everyone, even family, that we are the worst parents that anyone could have.Very hurtful. We, also,have to other daughters[older & younger]then her. She has alway's hated her youngest sister. HELP!!!!!!
Category: Parenting
Expert:  DocAnn replied 6 years ago.

I think that unfortunately you are not going to like what I have to say. However, I am going to go ahead anyways. I think you know the answer here... It's probably what you would tell a best friend if she gave you this same senario.

This is a difficult situation because of course you love your daughter dearly and want the best for her. It sounds like you have tried nearly everything in your power to help her live a happy and productive life.

Unfortunately sometimes people really have to hit bottom to realize that they themselves must want and use the help that is available for them. It seems from your brief description that this has not happened for your daughter.

It sounds like you would like to be able to make her take help... but she must be in a place to receive it.

There are of course the local shelters and counselors and rehab facilities that you have tried and are trying... and continue to use this as you see fit. But it sounds like the important thing right now is finding support for yourself! and taking care of yourself. I would suggest talking to a counselor or clergy person to help you define how you might better do this...

Best of luck and Take care. That is a really tough spot!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.