Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Family Counselor
Experience:  Parenting Workshops, Teacher, PHD Clinical Psychology, 30 yrs. Exp. 4 Children

i have a 4 year old stepgrandchild since her brother who is

i have a 4 year old stepgrandchild since her brother who is my sons only child has arrived (now 18 mths old) she has gone back to wetting herself and very naughty will do anything for attention, i look after her and my grandson while mum works every second wednesday she seems to want to be baby i worry about her she was in the cot today while he slept in his bed for afternoon nap. her own dad and partner are having new baby next year how will she cope with yet another sibling. i feel sad for her being torn between two families i work in toyshop so i know it happens so much now is there something we can do to help her through this?
Hi, You are right about this child, her need for attention and one on one time. If her mother is working and puts her in her room when she is "misbehaving". At her age she needs time and attention. If you have both children I would suggest you include her in helping you with her brother, do things that will make her feel included. When her brother goes for a nap, try interesting her in an activity like crayons, art projects. If you work in a toy store you probably have lots of fun things you can do with her. I would also ask if you can take her alone and have one on one time.
Please click accept and leave feedback.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thanks for advice she also has a brother from previous relationship he was difficult also but is now accepting us and my son and his new brother its beautiful to see him so happy and the love the two boys have is shown in their smiles, i just want lilly to be happy too, i think even if i had her on occasions one on one may help her to accept things also maybe the fact they have built a new home together will give her more stability, my son is finding her a challenge i'm just worried she is putting a stain on their relationship i try to help him understand but i'm no therapist and i'd hate to make things worse but she is only a little girl with so much to deal with in her life.
Hi, Children want nothing more than love and attention, if you can help him understand things from a kids perspective that may help. What she is doing is her way (since she can't verbalize how she is feeling) of saying, hey, look at me. I"m here. Hopefully life will settle in and she will adjust.
Please click accept and leave feedback.