Dr. G.
Dr. G., Psychologist
Experience:  Licensed Psychologist in the state of Minnesota
15682972

I have a 7 year old Daughter and a 5 year old son. They do

Customer Question

I have a 7 year old Daughter and a 5 year old son. They do not get everything they want, but they do have a nice life. I do fun things for them, let them include friends and they keep wanting more. I just want a Thank you instead of whining and complaining. How do I show/teach them that they have it pretty good and there is only so much time in a day?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 6 years ago.
I think that your children are acting pretty normal for their age. Children are hedonistic and self-centered so of course they want more and it is all about them. You can not give into their demands as a starting place. You can also teach them to say thank you and please. But to think that they are just going to shower you with praise and gratitude is a little far-fetched since they don't have that ability at their age.