Dr. G.
Dr. G., Psychologist
Experience:  Licensed Psychologist in the state of Minnesota

My boyfriend commited suicide when I was 9 weeks pregnant.

Customer Question

My boyfriend commited suicide at age 24 when I was 9 weeks pregnant. My daughter was born and is now 1 years old. I wanted to know how and when should I tell her how her dad died? He had a drug-abuse problem and no coping skills, he did not want me to have the baby because he was to stressed about the idea. He had a prior child with someone else when he was 17 but the baby was taken away by the state. My ex boyfriend grew up in a childhood full of drugs, alcohol and not good examples.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 6 years ago.
Wait until the child asks and then you can just say that the dad died when she was a baby. As she gets older and asks more questions then you can tell her the exact reason if you feel comfortable.