How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Dr. G. Your Own Question

Dr. G.
Dr. G., Psychologist
Category: Parenting
Satisfied Customers: 1467
Experience:  Licensed Psychologist in the state of Minnesota
Type Your Parenting Question Here...
Dr. G. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi there, Im a concerned sister in-law. My partners brother

Resolved Question:

Hi there,
I'm a concerned `sister in-law'. My partners brother seperated from his wife 6 months ago as she asked him to leave...he is the most loyal person I know, especially having to `put-ip' with her phsycotic behaviour....I wouldn't be concerned of their spllit, however there is a 3 year old boy involved who has suffered behavioural problems and only seems to be getting better since the split and since he has started pre school.
They have not sought legal advice as seemed to be able to responsibly share time with their son and organise their lives...I have learnt however that the ex wife continuoasley harrases my bother in law over the phone and it's gotten worse since now he has moved on with his life and found a more stable person!! The ex wife is so mad about his happiness and that we as a family all spend time together....she leaves horrid messages to him about derogaory things aout his famils.....the poor guy is so anxious...he's seeking councelling and is on medication, but just wants his son to be happy and feels that his ex wife is not providing an emotional stable home for him. She's now threatened to take custody if their son...I have no idea under what grounds!!!!

I just want to know if its worh my brother in law seeking legal advice? Aything to stop the
20 calls a day of abuse!! Maybe getting a mediator?? Their must something that can be done.

The wife just is not in a happy place and hasn't been for as long as they were married....3 years..they are both 32 and I know my brother in law just wants what is best for his son.

Please help...I would like to offer him some options, understand I havejust given you an if you require further info please let me know!!!
Thanks very much
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 6 years ago.
He doesn't need legal advice. he needs to set boundaries. First of all, if she is not calling about their child then there is no reason to talk. Second, if she is mean to him over the phone then he needs to hang up. third, if she calls him at all hours of the night then he needs to tell her to stop and HE needs to stick to this. She is walking all over him and it is completely in his control to make it stop. he needs to stand up to her and not accept this behavior from her in his life. It is called being assertive and setting limits with someone who is verbally abusive. Hopefully he is learning this in counseling.
Dr. G., Psychologist
Category: Parenting
Satisfied Customers: 1467
Experience: Licensed Psychologist in the state of Minnesota
Dr. G. and 2 other Parenting Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.



thanks you have hit the nail on the head...although I do think their is fear that if he does stand up to her like you said, then she will not let him see their son....she's using him as a threat....fingers crossed it doesn't turn out like that!

Thanks again for your advice.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther Woodstock, NY
  • Thank you so much for taking your time and knowledge to support my concerns. Not only did you answer my questions, you even took it a step further with replying with more pertinent information I needed to know. Robin Elkton, Maryland
  • He answered my question promptly and gave me accurate, detailed information. If all of your experts are half as good, you have a great thing going here. Diane Dallas, TX

Meet The Experts:

  • Rafael M.T.Therapist

    Rafael M.T.Therapist

    Family Counselor

    Satisfied Customers:

    MHT-MHRS-MS-MA Integral Psychotherapist & Life Coach
< Last | Next >
  • Rafael M.T.Therapist's Avatar

    Rafael M.T.Therapist

    Family Counselor

    Satisfied Customers:

    MHT-MHRS-MS-MA Integral Psychotherapist & Life Coach
  • Cher's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Extensive Experience working with Children/Teens; M.A. Teacher/Tutor 40+ yrs.; Parent of 2
  • Jennifer's Avatar


    School Psychologist

    Satisfied Customers:

    Collaborative parent consultation on everything from modifying behavior to child development.
  • professional_Alison's Avatar


    Child Care

    Satisfied Customers:

    Degree in early years,16 years experience in childcare
  • Dr. L's Avatar

    Dr. L


    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed as psychologist and marriage and family therapist
  • Dr. Shirley Schaye's Avatar

    Dr. Shirley Schaye


    Satisfied Customers:

    PhD-Psych; Certif. Psychoanalyst NPAP& NYFS; Memb.APsaA;IPA; Pub.Author; Teach/Supervise Therapy
  • Eveningstargazer's Avatar


    Family Counselor

    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist (LMFT)

Related Parenting Questions