Jennifer
Jennifer, School Psychologist
Experience:  Collaborative parent consultation on everything from modifying behavior to child development.

I live in Texas. My fifth grader took her TAKS test but did

I live in Texas. My fifth grader took her TAKS test but did not pass math on her first or second try. We're waiting for the results on her third try. I feel that holding her back would do more damage to her sense of self, self worth... than moving her forward and get her into math tutoring in the 6th grade. I think holding back a child in the lower grades is beneficial but at this grade, and considering that she has an already low self-esteem, will do more damage than good. My wife has opposite feelings.
What it is your opnion?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Jennifer replied 3 years ago.
Hello and thanks for using Justanswer.com!

Schools RARELY recommend holding a child back exactly for the reasons you've mentioned. With that said, there is a scale that is sometimes administered by schools (check with the school counselor) called the Light's Retention Scale that helps parents and school staff weigh the pros and cons of retaining a student.

If math is a significant problem, I'd suggest you request an evaluation for special education services. Depending upon the kind of services your district provides, students who qualify for support services typically receive additional help during the school day specific to their needs (specific goals outlined on an Individualized Education Plan). Many schools format their program by having students attend classes as they normally would, with one class designed to provide the additional support they need -- very little stigma attached to this kind of programming. An evaluation might consist of academic testing and cognitive assessment to determine your daughter's current level of functioning. If results indicate that she isn't performing to her potential due to a related cognitive deficit or at the rate that she should be learning, she may qualify for this kind of help. The great thing about this service is that includes a case manager (a learning specialist assigned to monitor your daughter's progress), regular progress reports to you, and access to help in other areas if needed down the road. Certainly something to look into. This request is typically made by contacting the school psychologist or resource room teacher at your daughter's school.

In the meantime, tutoring is certainly something that can be very effective -- especially during the summer months.

I wish you the best of luck!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
If my daughter received some tutoring already, would she be able to move forward if she remains in the school recommened program?
Expert:  Jennifer replied 3 years ago.
Not knowing your school district's policies and procedures, it's difficult for me to answer. However, I do know that having received some tutoring would not affect her ability to be evaluated and possibly qualify for the support services I mentioned. Students are typically "graduated" to the next grade level automatically (despite academic progress). When there is a possible need for retention, you would be called in for a team meeting with school personnel to discuss that possibility.
Jennifer, School Psychologist
Experience: Collaborative parent consultation on everything from modifying behavior to child development.