Dr. G.
Dr. G., Psychologist
Experience:  Licensed Psychologist in the state of Minnesota
15682972

At what age does a child have the right to choose who to live

At what age does a child have the right to choose who to live with. My wife and I raised a girl from the time of her birth until she was 11. She now lives with her biological mother who is putting too many restrictions on her visiting with us. We are not biologically related to the girl.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 6 years ago.
Unfortunately the mother can keep her away from you until she is 18 and can make her own decisions. It is a shame that the mother is breaking the bond you and the girl had for such a long time. But really your hands are tied on this one unless you have some form of legal custody. You can continue to try and reach out to her but ultimately the mom can deny you access to her daughter.