Dr. G.
Dr. G., Psychologist
Experience:  Licensed Psychologist in the state of Minnesota
15682972

My daughter broke up with her boyfriend of 8 months who she

My daughter broke up with her boyfriend of 8 months who she was having sex with. My daughter is only 16 and a now a junior in High School. On occasion she drinks and does pot. I recently found out she is doing exstasy because she says she is depressed. She is also having problems with her friends. Says they are terrible friends. We have disciplined her every time about drugs and alcohol. We have had this conversation so many times about the dangers of drugs. In light of this recent discovery we don't know what to do.

What would be the most positive way to deal with this situation?
It really sounds like she is on a self-destructive path in life and all your attempts to help her have failed. Luckily she is not pregnant or dead YET!!! The only way I see out of this is to place her in an adolescent treatment facility so that she can get the help she needs. I am only saying this because desperate times call for desperate measures. She cannot be trusted to make good decisions and she cannot be supervised 24/7. Therefore, she needs to be in a place where she will receive professional counseling, drug counseling, treatment for her depression, she will finish school, and most importantly; she will be monitored 24/7. If you want to go through with this plan, in order to save your daughter's life, then you can either look up adolescent treatment facilities in your area or you can contact social services to help coordinate these services. This is the only way I see things getting better.