Jennifer, School Psychologist
Experience:  Collaborative parent consultation on everything from modifying behavior to child development.

my 10 yr old grandaughter is convinced that the world is coming

my 10 yr old grandaughter is convinced that the world is coming to an end, apparently after watching the movie, 2012 about the prediction of the Mayan calendar. We've had her teachers try to convince her otherwise but she is still afraid. Any suggestions?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Jennifer replied 6 years ago.
Hello and thanks for using!

Try talking with her about the MANY movies made about the end of the world. How many times has it been predicted?! Explain that it makes a good movie plot because it's a scary notion. I wouldn't go into the actual beliefs of any particular culture or religion. The fear sprang from seeing a movie, so you may be able to help her to understand that what she saw was a screenwriter's efforts to make a movie interesting to those who watched.

Validate the fear by telling her you can see it's a scary thing for her and you understand why she might be concerned. Talk with her about how she's feeling and ask how you might help her to feel better. If she doesn't have any ideas, you could offer some suggestions of your own. Talking about it when she feels anxious, for example, or using other ways to express her feelings (art, writing, etc). If her fears begin to interfere with her daily functioning (problems with eating, sleeping, obsessive thoughts, avoiding daily activities out of fear) it may be time to seek professional guidance through counseling.

I wish you the best of luck!