Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Family Counselor
Experience:  Parenting Workshops, Teacher, PHD Clinical Psychology, 30 yrs. Exp. 4 Children
14832673

I am a single mum,of a three year old boy, living in London.

I am a single mum,of a three year old boy, living in London. MyHusband and I separated 2.5 years ago. I am South African and as I have no family and support system here, am planning to go back to South Africa. My son sees his father for one day per weekend including a night , and sometimes he spends a weeknight with his dad as well. He adores his dad. We go to SA once a year for 3-4 weeks and he loves my family in SA.His dad is also SA'n and goes down once a year too. How will this move affect my son, considering he will se his dad only once a year. I have been putting off this thought as I fear he will hate me some day for taking him away from his dad, but it is becoming increasingly difficult for me to manage working full time and being a single mum too, both financially and emotionally. I do not get a fair amount of maintenance from his dad... hence my financial difficulty. So, my question is.. how will this affect my son psychologically...
MANY THANKS, XXXXX XXXXX
This is Joan and I am a Moderator:
Thanks for your question! I'm sorry that you haven't received an answer yet. The response rate on JustAnswer is usually over 95%, but sometimes questions go un-answered when, for example:

1. The question may be unclear.
2. The question seems to request an answer for something that cannot be explained adequately online.
3. The Experts that are online are simply unable to answer your question.
4. The question price you selected is low for the complexity of the question.
Please feel free to re-word your question [or increase the price] if you feel that may be the reason. [Of course, you are not required to increase the price.]

If you would still like to receive an answer from an Expert, just let me know, and I will do my best to assist you by finding an Expert to help you.
If you have any questions regarding deposits or billing, please feel free to use the help link below:

http://www.justanswer.com/help/contact.aspx

Best,
Joan
Hi, sorry it has taken us so long to get back to you. If you have to go back to SA where your support system is then you should go and not worry about your son. If he has a good relationship with his dad and they enjoy each other there are solutions to his not seeing him as often. SKYPE is a wonderful way for them to interact in real time and it's free. He isn't going to hate you, you are going back to a secure support system where he will be loved and nurtured. There is not way to predict the outcome of this move however if he is nurtured in his new environment and able to stay in touch with his Dad it will be "normal" for him and he will be fine. If his dad is also SA who is not to say he may move back someday too and see him more often. You need to do what is necessary for you and your son.
Please click accept and leave feedback.
Dr. Keane, Family Counselor
Experience: Parenting Workshops, Teacher, PHD Clinical Psychology, 30 yrs. Exp. 4 Children