Dr. G.
Dr. G., Psychologist
Experience:  Licensed Psychologist in the state of Minnesota

I have a 6 year old hormone bomb for a daughter. Much as I

I have a 6 year old hormone bomb for a daughter. Much as I love her, she's driving me crazy. Her dad travels and life goes to a warm climate place. Life is one run-on sentence and getting a word in edge wise is nearly impossible. I try to get her attention to let her know what is expected of her like bed time is in 30 minutes and she should get her pjs on. I ask if she understood what I've said and she repeats back to me that she needs to get her pjs on before bedtime. 30 minutes later, she is not in her pjs and acts like i've lost my mind in getting upset with her about it. All our little spats involve this same type of scenario. I say something, she repeats it back and then it's not done. Over and over. How do I break the cycle of frustration for us both?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 6 years ago.
Keep your cool, have her repeat once what is expected of her, and have her repeat the consequence if she does not follow through (i.e. loss of privileges for one hour), then you follow through with the consequence. Stick to giving her consequences for about two weeks and you should see improvement.