Jennifer
Jennifer, School Psychologist
Experience:  Collaborative parent consultation on everything from modifying behavior to child development.
30853534

We have a 2-year old daughter who seems to be ready to begin

We have a 2-year old daughter who seems to be ready to begin potty training. What are some of the techniques that work well?

We live in Japan and have learned that a lot of families outside the US train their children earlier. We travel often as a family and are experiencing some challenges in consistently observing the timing of our daughters life cycles.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Joan-Mod replied 4 years ago.
This is Joan and I am a Moderator:
Thanks for your question! I'm sorry that you haven't received an answer yet. The response rate on JustAnswer is usually over 95%, but sometimes questions go un-answered when, for example:

1. The question may be unclear.
2. The question seems to request an answer for something that cannot be explained adequately online.
3. The Experts that are online are simply unable to answer your question.
4. The question price you selected is low for the complexity of the question.
Please feel free to re-word your question [or increase the price] if you feel that may be the reason. [Of course, you are not required to increase the price.]

If you would still like to receive an answer from an Expert, just let me know, and I will do my best to assist you by finding an Expert to help you.

Best,
Joan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: No answer yet.
Any potty training tips?
Expert:  Jennifer replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thanks for using Justanswer.com!

Will there be a period soon where you won't be traveling so much? You're right that the moving around will make it difficult to teach her this new skill.

Even though some families start young, children will show you when they're ready to be potty trained and all of the research shows it will ONLY work when they are ready. There are several readiness signs that will indicate that your daughter is prepared to begin potty training. Here's a link with information about those readiness signs:

http://www.babycenter.com/0_potty-training-readiness-checklist_4384.bc

Assuming she's ready at this point, I'd definitely begin by taking a look at your travel schedule to find a period when you'll be in one spot the longest. That way she'll be able to rely on a consistent environment and you'll be better able to facilitate the training without letting travel plans, time changes, and new living quarters get into the way.

There are a number of different theories on how to potty train (some are as rigorous as assuming a child can learn this new skill in just a few days), but most often we begin simply by familiarizing them with the potty. Let her sit on it frequently (scheduled times throughout the day to "catch" the right moment when she needs to go), talk about it positively, read childrens books if you think she'd absorb the concept more fully that way, and pour on the reinforcements (sticker charts are common, verbal praise, high fives, etc.) Definitely move to thick training pants for a time so she can feel when she's wet (diapers are so good at helping kids feel dry that often they can't tell!) Some kids really tie into the "big kid" aspect of it (e.g., "Big girls use the potty! You're a big girl now, so you get to use one, too!") If you try it for 1-2 weeks and it's not working at all, I'd say she's not ready. Let it go for a while then try again in a few months. The more pressure you put on before they're ready, the more resistant kids tend to become (and therefore more difficult!)
Jennifer, School Psychologist
Experience: Collaborative parent consultation on everything from modifying behavior to child development.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you, ma'am. This is exactly what we were hoping to see in an answer. We read a lot of books and thought maybe we had missed the main points. We will keep trying the techniques you recommended.