Dr. G.
Dr. G., Psychologist
Experience:  Licensed Psychologist in the state of Minnesota
15682972

my 16yr old daughter has just told me she has started seeing

my 16yr old daughter has just told me she has started seeing a 19yr old boy. i feel worried as age gap and also she has not had many. if any previous boyfriends. what is best way to approach everything and am i being over protective?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 6 years ago.
I don't think you are being overprotective. I would be concerned as well. How long have they dated? Have you met him? How does she have access to him? Any concerns about him besides age?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
as far as i know they have only just started dating, i know his mother and yes have met him. she was at his house today {his mum was there to} and last week he was around at my house but i thought they were just friends at that point. i know he likes to drink {a concern}.
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 6 years ago.
Well I guess you have to go back to the rules you have for her for dating. Hopefully you had this discussion with her way back when. If not then have the discussion about your expectations and rules for her to date. If 19 is too old then tell her to find somebody else. You need to have open communication with her about the rules you have for her. As soon as possible, and as soon as you and dad figure out what rules and expectations you have for her then you sit down with her and tell her. Then see how it goes.