Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Family Counselor
Experience:  Parenting Workshops, Teacher, PHD Clinical Psychology, 30 yrs. Exp. 4 Children

My 4 year old daughter keeps peeing in the floor beside her

Customer Question

My 4 year old daughter keeps peeing in the floor beside her bed. This has been going on for 6 months now. She also pees in her play area while no one is paying attention. She has been potty trained for over a year now. We have a 3 month old at home and I realize that some if not all of this is for attention. She will not stop, we've tried rewards charts, bribery, lots of one on one time with mom and dad, punishment and nothing works. She doesn't go the floor all the time, but enough where the carpet may need to replaced! Help!
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Dr. Keane replied 6 years ago.
Hi, first thing I would do is make sure there is nothing physically causing this to occur. Sometimes, especially with girls urinary tract infections can cause this to happen. Once you make sure she is okay then you can work on her behavior. You have tried the chart but at 4 you have to make sure the rewards are almost instant. For example, go one day without an accident and give a reward. As she progresses you can lengthen the days to two, then three. I would stay at three because she is young. Don't punish, and don't give her any attention when it happens. If she gets attention from you, whether it's negative or not, she'll keep doing it. It may take awhile and yes,it may be a result of the new baby. Takes time and consistency to work.
Please click accept and leave feedback.