Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Family Counselor
Experience:  Parenting Workshops, Teacher, PHD Clinical Psychology, 30 yrs. Exp. 4 Children
14832673

If a two year old refuses to eat healthy food should you give

If a two year old refuses to eat healthy food should you give him junk food just to get him to eat?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Dr. Keane replied 4 years ago.
Hi, If a two year old refuses healthy food and has only one to two "likes" that's okay. However to give the child just junk food is not a good idea. There are ways to disguise healthy foods so that they taste good and be full of nutrients. For example, if the child likes ice cream you can make a healthy shake of fruits and add a small scoop of ice cream. At breakfast let them eat cereal (I know a lot of sugary types out there) but at least the nutrition is there, they can mix it with yogurt. I would offer the food, if the child refuses, remove it and let it go. He'll get hungry after awhile, maybe a couple of tantrums but will eat what is offered.He isn't going to starve missing a few meals and he'll learn to eat. Not working on improving his diet now is a huge mistake. Lots of children only eat one or two things, that's okay, some kids only eat peanut butter and jelly but that is a bit healthier than junk food. If he develops a taste for junk it will stay with him.
Please click accept and leave feedback.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
He is a child who usually eats everything and also when he has finished his meal he will pick off his parents plates. So is this just a two year old thing and he will out grow it if you don't resort to the junk?
Expert:  Dr. Keane replied 4 years ago.
Hi, absolutely, he will outgrow it, he is only two . Think of it this way, if you were two and someone gave you a cupcake when you refused to eat what was given to you, which way would you go? I know I'd take the sweet. He is being conditioned to wait for the better tasting junk basically, and he wins.
Please click accept and leave feedback.
Dr. Keane, Family Counselor
Experience: Parenting Workshops, Teacher, PHD Clinical Psychology, 30 yrs. Exp. 4 Children