Rafael M.T.Therapist
Rafael M.T.Therapist, Family Counselor
Experience:  MHT-MHRS-MS-MA Integral Psychotherapist & Life Coach
65591635

I have a 7 year old boy. He is very bright and active. He

Customer Question

I have a 7 year old boy. He is very bright and active. He has lots of friends and can pretty much get along with anyone. He also has an incredible imagination!!!!!!! A real gift! However, during a swim meet or game or even a practice, we can not get him to disengage from pretend play and just swim or just be a baseball player. He is extremely focused on playing, all kinds, but tends to get stuck in imaginative play instead of engaging in the moment. His mind never stops. We have discussed ADD/ADHD with teachers and doctors. It doesn't fit him. I don't want to squash his imagination but need to help be in the moment. It is like a switch needs to be flicked on or off. But we don't know what works. How do we help him flick the switch and engage in the moment? Do you have any advice, or resources we can look into to point us in the right direction? Thanks for your help.
Jill
Cary, NC
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Joan-Mod replied 6 years ago.
This is Joan and I am a Moderator:
Thanks for your question! I'm sorry that you haven't received an answer yet. The response rate on JustAnswer is usually over 95%, but sometimes questions go un-answered when, for example:

1. The question may be unclear.
2. The question seems to request an answer for something that cannot be explained adequately online.
3. The Experts that are online are simply unable to answer your question.
4. The question price you selected is low for the complexity of the question.
Please feel free to re-word your question [or increase the price] if you feel that may be the reason. [Of course, you are not required to increase the price.]

If you would still like to receive an answer from an Expert, just let me know, and I will do my best to assist you by finding an Expert to help you.

Best,
Joan