Jennifer
Jennifer, School Psychologist
Experience:  Collaborative parent consultation on everything from modifying behavior to child development.
30853534

My toddler(29mnths) poohed into his bath, but he just notified

Customer Question

My toddler(29mnths) poohed into his bath, but he just notified my husband after he finished. He didn't know how to handle this situation, but he had to take him and his sister (9mnths)out of the bath immediately. I told him that no pooh into the bath and he is naughty, but honestly don't know how I can make him aware that this is not the right thing to do.
Please help and I really need an advice on this not a comment that this is normal that I always get from my health visitor.

Thanks in advance
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Jennifer replied 6 years ago.
Hello and thanks for using Justanswer.com!

It sounds like a perfect time to prep him for potty training simply by talking about it. You've done the right thing by telling him that's now where we do that. I hate to say what you've already been told, but your health visitor is right -- this is a VERY normal behavior (particularly for this age).

I'd recommend you get a potty and place it in the bathroom. Before each bath, ask him to sit on it and talk about how this is the place we go potty (not in the bath). At this point, reward him for just sitting on the potty (verbal praise, stickers) since the idea is just to get him used to the idea. Use the same words about what he's done (pee, poop, or whatever words you're comfortable with) when you change his diaper so he can make the connection.

He may not be ready for potty training entirely, but getting him used to seeing the potty and talking about it will only ease the transition later on. Make it a fun and positive thing so that it's something he'll look forward to as well. Best of luck!