Dr. Yogindra Vasavada
Dr. Yogindra Vasavada, Pediatrician
Experience:  M.D.(ped) passed at first attempt, in practice continuously for last 37 years. Certi. in Comp

My 9 yr old grl, Lison , about 3 wks ago took her step-sisters

Customer Question

My 9 yr old grl, Lison , about 3 wks ago took her step-sisters school photo off the fridge and took a sharp blade to it 1 long one down the face and another tiny slash from nose to mouth and 4 more outside the face. She then put the pic. back on the fridge face down so we couldn't see it. Until yesterday noone thought to look at it. Shelby, 14, Art's oldest said, wow Leah someone really hates you. Leah sluffed it off (for now). Art and i moved in together 2 1/2 yrs ago without hardly any warning to anyone. His 2 kids live with their mom in the same small town. Things, I thought were relatively smooth. My girl said that she was very angry because Leah was ignoring her when she asked her to play, my girl was an only child for a long time and is very much, I want it my way. No temper tamprums though. Should i take her to a specialist? and, or try and talk to her about her angerLeah wouldn't aswwer her, Leah will be 11 in Sept. W
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Dr. Yogindra Vasavada replied 6 years ago.

Hello L,

Interpersonal relations during school age are taking turns and fresh entrants in family take long time to get accepted and assimilated. You will have to have infinite patience with your kid who had solo reign for quite some time !

There is no need to rush to any therapist just from this tiff. When there is danger to someone physically (does not appear from description) then only psychiatric help is to be sought.

Please continue to have dialog with her one to one. Also try to make them play as a group, under elders' supervision and encouragement.