Dr. G.
Dr. G., Psychologist
Experience:  Licensed Psychologist in the state of Minnesota

Having problems with my 13 yr old boy constantly wanting to

Having problems with my 13 yr old boy constantly wanting to go out and hang out ,arguing about everything when i say no . should i stand my ground or allow him to do watever he wants.
You need to set firm limits with him. Obviously you don't want to isolate him from his friends. BUT.... he shouldn't have free reign to come and go as he pleases. If I were you I would do the following. 1) All homework needs to be completed and checked before going outside. 2) Follow all rules of the house, whatever you choose, in order to earn the friend privilege. 3) There needs to be check-ins and curfew. Basically he needs to earn that privilege. Lay this plan out to him and you stick to it.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
He did leave the house when i told him not to.should i punish him ?, he does do his homework and does come home before the curfew. the problem is he wants to do it everyday. when he is not allowed it is constant arguing.
Yes he should be punished. He loses his privileges for the next day.