Dr. G.
Dr. G., Psychologist
Experience:  Licensed Psychologist in the state of Minnesota
15682972

my 4 year old is/ has been throwing dramatic temper tantrums

my 4 year old is/ has been throwing dramatic temper tantrums on a daily basis for several months now when he doesn't get what he wants. Please advise/ help!! I don't know what to do at this point.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 7 years ago.
You display a list of rules for the household to follow. On the list it should say no throwing temper tantrums. Instead talk nicely. Then if the rule is broken then there needs to be a specific consequence given every time. I suggest losing all privileges for 30 minutes. So as you stick to this behavior plan you will also teach your child that instead of throwing tantrums that the behavior you expect from him is...... which would be talking calmly and expressing his feelings in a respectful manner. Teach him to use the words, mad, frustrated, angry, say, etc.. mainly feeling words. Try this and see if it helps.