Jennifer, School Psychologist
Experience:  Collaborative parent consultation on everything from modifying behavior to child development.

my seven yr old son and myself have been victoms of domestic

my seven yr old son and myself have been victoms of domestic violence the last time was about 3 1/2 yrs ago and he still remembers it like it just happened. i thought by not talking about it he would forget since he was only 4 at the time but he still remembers and is scared that his dad might hurt us again, should this pass or do you think concuseling is a good idea?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Jennifer replied 6 years ago.
Hello and thanks for using!

Counseling would be an effective solution in this scenario. I'd suggest you contact your son's school psychologist or school counselor and explain that you're looking for recommendations for a good community counselor. While they can provide school counseling, this type of situation may be better addressed outside of school simply because it may "dig up" some difficult feelings for him (not very easy to discuss such painful memories then return to class for an academic lesson!) They will have a list of private practitioners, clinics, etc. that other families they work with have found to be helpful. I would ask that they introduce themselves to your son so that he has someone to talk to if he ever feels the need at school as well. I wish you the best of luck!