Jennifer
Jennifer, School Psychologist
Experience:  Collaborative parent consultation on everything from modifying behavior to child development.

I think that the background provides a lot. Recently, our

I think that the background provides a lot. Recently, our son has had threatening comments and over the top verbal agression. It all came to a head on Sunday night when we ended up puting him into a treament facility in the city where we live. The intake psychologist was the one who asked if our son had ever been diagnosed with AS and said that he appeared to be classic AS.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Jennifer replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thanks for using Justanswer.com!

I'm sorry to hear about the incident Sunday night and of your son's recent diagnosis. It may help to explain much of his behavior, though. When will he be discharged from the treatment facility?

I'd suggest you contact the school psychologist at your son's school. They'll have resources to support your son and may do an evaluation in the school setting to see if the characteristics of AS are impacting his ability to be successful at school. If so, they can design a support plan that will include skills training, individualized goals, and small group work on any academic subjects he's having difficulties with. Even if he doesn't qualify for extra support services, there are a number of things they can do in the classroom that are commonly used to support students affected by AS (visual aids, simple / concrete directions, social stories if your son is very young, etc.)

I hope this is helpful to you. Please let me know if you're looking for additional information. Since there wasn't a specific question, I think I just assumed you were looking for "next steps."
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Dear XXXXX,

I think that the first part of my question was somehow cut off. Our son graduated from HS last year and was19 years old in January, and of course, an adult. A few years ago he was diagnosed with ADHD, and was given medication from his psyciatrist, but has continued to have social developmental issues. He is brilliant, with about a 150 IQ and has near classic signs of AS. We didn't realize these classic signs until over a year ago when my wife came upon them on the Internet after a suggestion from a dear friend of ours (she is a family law attorney, but also a great psychologist in her own right...though not a professional psychologist). We were encouraged when we first realized that our son may have AS, cause it seemed to explain a lot to us, until the professionals got involved (MD psyciatrist, PhD psychologist and MS Psychologist). They did not agree that our son was AS, but they do not live with him either. Anyhow, after graduation he has continued to try to seek employment to no avail and has elected not to continue to college at this time, though he has a scholarship and is very bright. He has also become more and more depressed as well. What did come through is that he had begun to make over the top statements and threats to others and to himself. The straw that broke the camel's back on Sunday was when we discovered his rifle that was supposed to be locked away unloaded in our bedroom was in fact unlocked and loaded under his bed. It was at this point that we took him to the treatment facility. Thankfully, he came peacefully, understaning why he was going.

I also believe it came through in my previous question that the doctorial candidate intake psychologist at the facility talked with our son, and with us for over an hour the other night and said that he was classic AS, just like we had felt so. She did her Master works in AS, and specializes in Autism and other disorders working in the local school system here as well (large city of over 2 million people). Our son attended private school and was never diagnosed with AS, and even now, does not have this diagnosis from a psychiatrist. The intake psychologist only makes observations to the staff of the facility. My question is that his diagnosis is very late at 19. We cannot get help from the school system here for him. What resources would you recomend for us to try to help him grow to become a man that will be able to support himself with this syndrom, assuming we are correct that he does have AS? Where do we turn? Thank you for your advice.

Sincerely,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I think that about does it for the moment...I did this last night, but looks like I didn't send it. Sorry. Dave
Expert:  Jennifer replied 4 years ago.
This is interesting... It's unusual for professionals to disagree on a diagnosis of ASD if the characteristics are as "classic" as you've described. I wonder what exclusionary factors the other individuals felt ruled out the diagnosis? At this point I'd suggest that you look into a second opinion on the matter to see if he qualifies for the diagnosis. This is not only for your own peace of mind, but to know if the interventions designed for this population are appropriate for your son and possibly to provide access to some of the programs available (I know some state and federal programs require a diagnosis before services can be provided).

As for resources, I'm afraid my area of expertise is limited to the school-aged population. Many of my students connect with the state agencies after graduation (department of human services, services for children and families, etc. -- the name varies by state) and parents often find support in state and national advocacy groups. The Autism Support Network provides a nice array of articles, video clips, and resources (searched by state):

http://www.autismsupportnetwork.com/

As for transitioning into adulthood, here is a nice article (from the Autism Support Network) that outlines the benefits of attending a community college as a stepping stone to a 4-year college or university:

http://www.autismsupportnetwork.com/resources/community-college-more-gradual-transition-adulthood

Lastly, an article was written in Social Work Today on this very topic. Perhaps you'll find it helpful as well.

http://www.socialworktoday.com/archive/090208p12.shtml

I do hope you'll seek a second opinion to make sure your son is affected by AS before delving too deeply into interventions and transition strategies. I wish you the best of luck!
Jennifer, School Psychologist
Experience: Collaborative parent consultation on everything from modifying behavior to child development.