Dr. G.
Dr. G., Psychologist
Experience:  Licensed Psychologist in the state of Minnesota
15682972

Hello, i have a 12 year old kind, smart, daughter, i have been

Customer Question

Hello, i have a 12 year old kind, smart, daughter, i have been spying on her cell phone text messages and facebook account. I have discovered that she has been "dating" a boy for a few months, text messages, sees him occasionally in religion class. She professed her love for him etc. In one day she dumped him and has a new boyfriend. and has hurt this other boy. My question is do i some how let her know that its not nice to treat people like this and that someday she can be on the other end of this....do i take her phone away...she is on honor roll and is into her friends and sports...do i just stay out of it? i feel bad for the boy as he is dealing with kids at school knowing he was dumped...... and that she has moved on..i know there kids, but i want my daughter to be mindful of others feelings...
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 6 years ago.
I think it is appropriate to talk to your daughter about this issue and your concerns. Let her know that it has come to your attention about this and not that you were spying. Also ask her why she has not told you about dating him. then talk to her about dating in general and this may lead in to discussion about sex and healthy relationships, which she is at the age this might need to take place. Good luck and way to stay on top of things.