Dr. G.
Dr. G., Psychologist
Experience:  Licensed Psychologist in the state of Minnesota

My boyfriend doesnt spend any time with our toddler

My bf doesn't spend any time with our 1.5 year old. I start work right when he gets home and it's his turn to watch our son. He feeds him, spends about 1/2 hour with him, usually with the tv on. He then puts our son in his play room and goes into the basement with the baby monitor to play video games for the 2 hours before our son goes to bed. Tonight it was 3 hours and he let baby stay up an hour past bed time because he was so into his game. I'm so furious! I believe what he is doing is wrong and neglectful but I don't know what to do. My husband does this on the weekends too, he leaves me to care for our son all day and does nothing to help or connect with him for more that 1/2 hour. I've tried discussing this with him, but he thinks that everything is fine and I don't have the right to say anything. I am thinking: what's the point of wasting my time with a man who is more interested in his own personal entertainment that spending time with his son? We might as well be married and divorced and he can visit on weekends. Please help!
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 6 years ago.
Please explain having a boyfriend and a husband?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
He's my boyfriend as we are not legally married, yet.
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 6 years ago.
I don't know about you but a characteristic I look for in a partner is how they would treat my child and do they show interest and care for the child. Your boyfriend obviously does not possess this quality. I think he is neglectful and selfish. You have to trust your instinct on this one and if you are already seeing that he is this way then don't expect things to change with marriage. Unfortunately, you can't force him to want to be a good dad and spend time with his child. I say avoid the marriage, break up, and if he wants visitation then have him take you to court.