Dr. G.
Dr. G., Psychologist
Experience:  Licensed Psychologist in the state of Minnesota

I have a five month old baby. My first child. Recently I can

I have a five month old baby. My first child. Recently I can't sleep at night because I am so paranoid he is going to stop breathing. My friend told me her friend lost her baby recently to SIDS at 2 months. Since then I get up multiple times to go check on him. Even though I do have a video monitor I still am afraid he is not breathing. I also have thoughts he is going to die. I have to keep reminding myself to stop thinking that way and I try to change that negative image in my mind with a positive image. For example I will try to invision my child at 5 yrs old play soccer or hugging me, rather then keep an aweful image of him being dead. What can I do? I don't want to dry myself crazy.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 6 years ago.
Forget the video monitor. GO by yourself one of the baby monitors that also has a movement sensor that you place under the mattress. This put our mind at ease and it will put yours at ease too. Look up on ebay baby monitor/movement sensor and get a good nights sleep.