Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Family Counselor
Experience:  Parenting Workshops, Teacher, PHD Clinical Psychology, 30 yrs. Exp. 4 Children

My seven-year-old son showed his privates to his buddy in school

My seven-year-old son showed his privates to his buddy in school today (and got caught). What is an appropriate response/consequence from me (mom)?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Dr. Keane replied 6 years ago.
Hi, This type of behavior is quite normal among children your son's age. Do not punish him in fact, don't make a big deal about it at all. Just calmly tell him his private parts are not for general viewing (it's really a curiosity at his age) and that other people may find it offensive. If you give him a consequence you are telling him that it's a "bad" thing to be curious when the only negative was that he chose to do it in school. Teach him, don't punish him. Tell him it isn't acceptable to be showing his privates to others.
Please click accept and leave feedback.