Jennifer, School Psychologist
Experience:  Collaborative parent consultation on everything from modifying behavior to child development.

I dont know if this is the proper place to get answer or not

I don't know if this is the proper place to get answer or not but maybe someone can direct me. my daughter called me to tell me that my 6 yr old granddaughter pull her skirt and pantiesoff because another little girl told her to do so. i don't know exactly what to tell her except that is not nice nor exceptable and to encourage her not do it never again nor to let any one else do itand to tell. I understand kids are curious but this such a difference day and you have to question all things. I anyone hepl us
Hello and thanks for using!

It sounds like you handled it appropriately by talking to her about private parts and the fact that they need to remain private (both hers and others). Sometimes it helps to explain that our private areas are the ones we keep covered with bathing suits. Developmentally, it's very normal for children to be curious and to go through a stage where they might engage in these kinds of behaviors -- often it is simply a matter of noticing how others look the same or different than themselves. I'm glad your daughter is aware now that she shouldn't engage in that kind of play when asked and that she can talk to you or her mother about these things. Hopefully the day care provider notified the other girl's parents as well so that they can address the issue with their daughter, too.

If this situation happens again, speak to the day care provider about setting up some parameters around when / how the girls are allowed to interact (e.g., increased supervision) until they learn to play appropriately. At that point they could be rewarded for playing together in acceptable activities (small time periods, increased based upon successful interactions. My hope is that this is just a one time occurrence and nothing to worry about. I wish you the best of luck!