Jennifer
Jennifer, School Psychologist
Experience:  Collaborative parent consultation on everything from modifying behavior to child development.
30853534

My 5 year old son has reverted to soiling his pants - only

My 5 year old son has reverted to soiling his pants - only with "number 2". He did take a long time to potty train but it was completed by 3 1/2.
Hello and thanks for using Justanswer.com!

I'd recommend you make an appointment with his pediatrician -- particularly since he explained that he can't feel it. He may have a sensory issue here and that needs to be ruled out before looking at other possible causes.

The stressful situation of seeing his mother in pain may also cause him to regress in learned skills. It may be helpful to have him visit with the school counselor or school psychologist at your son's school. They can check in with him regularly to teach him some coping skills and determine whether he may benefit from seeing a professional outside of school. If they do make that recommendation, they'll have a list of community providers other families have found helpful (play therapy can be very effective at this age).

You may also try (at home and school) a regularly scheduled bathroom break (e.g., every hour) to allow him the opportunity to use the toilet. Even if he doesn't feel the urge, he should try. If you're going to use rewards, reward his efforts to follow this schedule and using the toilet (versus rewarding days when he does NOT have accidents). I wish you the best of luck!