Jennifer, School Psychologist
Experience:  Collaborative parent consultation on everything from modifying behavior to child development.

Just received call from daycare about my son (5) asking a little

Just received call from daycare about my son (5) asking a little girl to pull here pants down and dont really know how to handle this. He is the oldest in the class and one of the few boy in this classroom. I dont really feel he is learning this at home but I need to fo something about this. He has an older sister (9) and are not very close. What should I do?
Hello and thanks for using!

Your son is doing something that's very normal developmentally. Many children
go through stages where they explore body parts and often it's simply interesting to them when they notice that other kids look the same or different than they do. I wouldn't be too alarmed by this behavior, particularly if this is the first time it has happened.

Explain to him that his private parts are private and not to be shared with anyone else. Other people's private parts are not to be touched either. You can talk about how private parts are the parts of our bodies covered by swimsuits if that helps him to identify what areas are off limits. This is likely not the first time your son's daycare has seen this type of behavior. When you pick him up, simply tell them you'll discuss "private parts" with him tonight and ask them to keep you informed if the behavior occurs again.

If you're still concerned about his behavior or if it turns into something more concerning, then you might speak to his pediatrician about it and seek their advice as to what you should do next.