Jennifer
Jennifer, School Psychologist
Experience:  Collaborative parent consultation on everything from modifying behavior to child development.

College Applications How do you know which colleges to advise

College Applications How do you know which colleges to advise achild who wants to attend a IVY league school and as a grandparent do not want him to feel dissappointed if he gets rejected.

My grandson is applying to Harvard Brown Yale UP and Princeton also Cornell he had Georgetown on his list which is where we know and want him to atted how-ever he now is rebelling please tell me how to handle this he is tahonor student and second highest in his class he has a 97 to 98 average and his sat score is about 2000,at this point I too am worried he is making wrong decisions.

Also let me inform you my account with just answer is under the nameCustomer
Category: Parenting
Expert:  ratioscripta replied 4 years ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX X am one of JustAnswer's attorneys. I'll be helping you resolve your matter today.

Please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

What does he want to be when he finishes college?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
He always wanted to be a Lawyer how-ever he recently told us he would also likt to be a Hedge Fund CEO he said Lawyers are not making enough of money His Dad has a Law Degree Personally I think he is not ready to make a decision as to which profession he would want to be in
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

How long will it take for you to answer my question, I am waiting

Sincerely

XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX

why am I being charged $32.00 I saw a balance of $32.00

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
has any of the experts reviued my question
Expert:  Jennifer replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thanks for using Justanswer.com!

I apologize for the delay. Your question was transferred from the family law experts to the parenting forum. It took some time for that process to take place and I wanted first to check with the previous expert involved with this question to make sure it was ok for me to step in.

Is your grandson visiting these schools? The best way to get a feel for which college is the right "fit" is to see them in person, meet some of the current students and professors, and explore the city in which they're located. It's true that all of these schools are very difficult to get into. It may be worth getting statistics from the admissions offices regarding the ratio of accepted applications to total number of students who have applied. Although his application sounds VERY strong, there will be many other students applying with similar scores, grades, etc. If he cannot visit the schools, he could contact the schools to see if they have events in other cities where he could learn more about their programs (often colleges will host events where prospective students and alumni get together for this reason). They may also be able to connect him with current students who have volunteered to be available by phone to answer questions about student life.

As for a career choice, I wouldn't worry about that at this point. Most Freshman enter with a vague idea of what they want to do (many colleges require them to pick a major early on), but it often changes during the first year or two as they gain more exposure to the subjects they are studying. He could be even more proactive by shadowing professionals in various fields, volunteering in the area of interest, and simply learning more about them through interviews and research. Colleges often have career centers where students are welcome to take career aptitude tests, access information about different careers, and even connect with mentors (usually alumni) in that field to get the information they need.

As for Georgetown, perhaps tell him that you understand he doesn't want to go there TODAY. If he changes his mind as it gets closer, though, wouldn't it be nice to have that option? If he's truly adamant that he doesn't want to go there, he must have his reasons.

I wish him the best of luck in the college application process! It's an exciting time and he's about to begin a great adventure in life. It's wonderful that you're there for him as he begins it.
Jennifer, School Psychologist
Experience: Collaborative parent consultation on everything from modifying behavior to child development.