Dr. G.
Dr. G., Psychologist
Experience:  Licensed Psychologist in the state of Minnesota

I just got a visit from my daughters high school teacher and

I just got a visit from my daughters high school teacher and her friend. My 17 year old daughter was with them. They encouraged my daughter to tell me that she has been taking vicodin 2-3 times a week at school. I am in shock. What do I do? My daughter would not explain why she took the drug.
You can start by keeping her under lock down. And then the next step would be to get her into therapy and figure out the problem.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I need more information. What do you mean by "lock down"? Should I take her to the pediatrian tomorrow am...Should I go straight to a counselor? Should I be encouraged because she "wants to stop and hasn't taken since last wed? Should I "make" her tell me who sold or gave it to her? Is there a drug test that would tell if it is still in her system since last week? Does she need rehab?
OK calm down and let me help you out. Let her know you will drug test her and take her to the doctor and let them test her. Off since Wed is a good start. Keep communication open with her without freaking out on her. Let her know that there will be random drug tests and see if she wants counseling. By lock down I mean there should be some grounding for at least a month with no friends and no fun and with random drug tests. Talk to your doctor and coordinate how the drug tests should go. If she has more drugs in her system then counseling is a must.