Jennifer, School Psychologist
Experience:  Collaborative parent consultation on everything from modifying behavior to child development.

In 4 weeks my husband will be returning home from being deployed

In 4 weeks my husband will be returning home from being deployed in Iraq for over a year. I have a 2 1/2 son and a 13 month old daughter. Is there anything I can do to make the transition easier for them? I know we will all be crazy excited to have him back, but it will be different for all of us. Everything from where we sleep (to get sleep while my daughter was little and I was returning to work I let my son start sleeping in my bed :-/ ) to differing parenting styles between my husband and I.
Hello and thanks for using!

I'm happy to hear your husband is returning soon! To prepare for his arrival, you could do a number of things. Talk about him daily, put pictures in new places, watch home video, and generally familiarize them both with his presence in the house. You could even make "Welcome Home" cards or gifts together to keep them involved and prepared for his arrival.

As for co-sleeping with your son, I'd recommend either making a change to that arrangement now or some time after your husband's return. Two big changes at the same time may be too hard and you may find the move more difficult then.

Be honest with your husband about the need to re-introduce his parenting style slowly. Perhaps he could let you take the lead in that respect for a while. You're welcome to discuss what he'd do differently, nut not in front of the kids. Come up with a code word that simply means "let's talk about this later." Make it something silly.

I'm very happy for you and your family!