How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Jennifer Your Own Question

Jennifer, School Psychologist
Category: Parenting
Satisfied Customers: 397
Experience:  Collaborative parent consultation on everything from modifying behavior to child development.
Type Your Parenting Question Here...
Jennifer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I need to know where to go books, videos, counselor - to

This answer was rated:

I need to know where to go: books, video's, counselor - to find out how to help my soon to be granddaughter. She is 10 and came from an verbally, and physically abusive home. The children were left to care for themselves hours upon hours at a time. The mother left in the night with all 3 children and they are now in another state. I watch the 3 children plus two other children 4 days a week while the mom is at work. The 10 year old feels very responsible for her siblings care. She is constantly taking the role of parent and undermining all authority. Love, encouragement, and explaining have not been enough to curtail these actions. Someone told me today that she may feel responsible for ALL the negative events in her past much like children feel when parents divorce. What resources are there? I haven't found them yet.
I think the best approach would be to find a therapist near you and have this addressed in therapy. That way the therapist can help her deal with her past experiences and help you make a gameplan for helping her at your house.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Finances for a therapist is a huge obsticle, are there any other resources?
The school counselor and school psychologist at her school will have a list of resources in your community other families have found to be helpful. Often there are programs that even offer free counseling or services with a sliding scale fee. Ask for recommendations for a psychologist or counselor in the community who offers free or low cost services. Explain your situation as they may also be able to assist in the school setting by providing extra support there (group counseling, individual counseling, mentor program, etc.)
Jennifer, School Psychologist
Category: Parenting
Satisfied Customers: 397
Experience: Collaborative parent consultation on everything from modifying behavior to child development.
Jennifer and 2 other Parenting Specialists are ready to help you

Related Parenting Questions