Jennifer, School Psychologist
Experience:  Collaborative parent consultation on everything from modifying behavior to child development.

Hello My 15 year old Justyn is starting to experiment with

Hello: My 15 year old Justyn is starting to experiment with drugs. I know this by finding drug paraphenilia in his room and elsewhere. I believe this could be affecting his health as well as his grades. We have cut off most of his prevlidges due to this. Phone and internet primarily. Of coarse this will not stop him but limit his communications. He has a younger and older brother. The older brother is no angel but managable. We worry about our 13 year old and possible expossure.As a family how should we deal with this.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Jennifer replied 6 years ago.
Hello and thanks for using!

Based on the fact that you've taken privileges away, I'm assuming you've confronted him about this behavior. Your open, honest communication with him should include why this is important to you -- you don't condone illegal activities and you worry tremendously about his health and his future.

Is recommend enlisting some help from others. Teens are developmentally at a stage where they are establishing independence from their parents, which often makes it more difficult for parents to get through to their teenage children. Many schools have drug and alcohol specialists on staff. I would recommend you contact this person to find out what resources (books, videos, support groups) are available for your family both in school and in the community. The school counselor and school psychologist may also be able to help.

Make it very clear to your entire family that this is a behavior that is not allowed. Family meetings may help for your son to hear how other family members feel about this and how his behavior is also impacting them.

Removing privileges is a smart disciplinary method. You may also try to fill his down time with positive activities to steer him in the right direction as far as character development -- perhaps a family volunteer activity in the community or enrollment in a sports activity or club. Not only will these activities broaden his worldview, but they may also introduce him to new friends who may be a better influence upon him.

If the situation gets beyond your control, don't be afraid to contact the authorities. There are natural consequences for illegal drug use. I would do this as a last resort, of course. I wish you the best of luck!