Jennifer, School Psychologist
Experience:  Collaborative parent consultation on everything from modifying behavior to child development.

My daughter was 8 and my son 5 when I got divorced. Unfortunately

My daughter was 8 and my son 5 when I got divorced. Unfortunately i did not have the custody of my children. So they live with their father but they were allowed to spend the week end with me. So I saw there quite often and love them and spoil them. Now my daughter is 27, she's working and doing quite well but is still single. My son is now 24 and is studying away from home. Each time i see them now they want big hugs and cuddles. My daughter even ask me to come and play in her hair when she goes to bed. Should I encourage this and should i stop that completly. I wonder if they missed all the hugs and cuddles when they were little. Please help.
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Jennifer replied 6 years ago.
Hello and thanks for using!

The cuddles and hugs are fine. It's possible they are making up for lost time with you as children or perhaps they are both simply very affectionate people. Your daughter may enjoy this activity at night because it reminds her of childhood memories with you and somehow makes her feel safe and lived. While a little unusual for her age, i wouldn't say it's unhealthy or that you need to stop being so affectionate. Those needs may change as they get older and perhaps begin their own families.