Dr. G.
Dr. G., Psychologist
Experience:  Licensed Psychologist in the state of Minnesota

I found my doughters diary, she is 6. In the diary she is

I found my doughter's diary, she is 6. In the diary she is writing about kissing and "having sex" with different boys in her classroom, and a cousin. This is closely following a discovery of her reading up on the Wiki article "How to Kiss a Boy" She is obviously sexually questioning and aware. There are times I will see her touching herself as well. I am not sure what I should do to address this, she's only 6!
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 6 years ago.
Well the only way I see to resolve this issue is to have a talk with her about her interests. I would first ask questions to see how much she knows and then you have your input at an age appropriate level. You want her to have correct information coming from you then from her friends. Might I suggest the book Talking to Your Kids About Sex which helps start discussion and gives accurate information at age appropriate levels. But this is something that needs to be addressed. I know you say she is only six but the issues are coming up and so it is time to have "the talk" and continue with the talk. Good luck.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I agree that we need to talk to her, but I am looking on advice on what level of information, about sex, is appropriate?
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 6 years ago.
You can check out the book I recommended earlier. You can also start by asking her what questions she has and what she knows about sex, dating, boys, kissing, etc. Then you give information out from there. Talk to her about her feelings about boys and why she wants to kiss them. Just be outright with her about what she means by having sex.