Dr. G.
Dr. G., Psychologist
Experience:  Licensed Psychologist in the state of Minnesota
15682972

my 11yr.old son was expeled from school for 1 day for hitting

my 11yr.old son was expeled from school for 1 day for hitting another boy in the arm like boys do. he gets in trouble for things like this but says its not his fault, he says he gets hit back but he doesnt tell anyone because they are messing around. What do i do for punishment or do i .
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 7 years ago.
I think hitting others does call for a consequence. I say have him removed from all of his privileges for one day. Teach him to not hit back and to tell the teacher. When he does these positive alternative behaviors then you praise him abundantly. Even if it is not his fault there still needs to be a consequence and you should tell him this upfront so that he knows what to expect if he hits again.