Dr. G.
Dr. G., Psychologist
Experience:  Licensed Psychologist in the state of Minnesota

Im going nuts! I have 2 boys, 5 mos and 26 mos. About 2

I'm going nuts! I have 2 boys, 5 mos and 26 mos. About 2 months after the 2nd one was born my 2 yr old started constantly whining for us to hold him. I try to pick him up when I can so he doesn't feel left out but he asks CONSTANTLY. Yesterday I counted 47 times. I use the "big boy" tactic, the "mommy is busy right now but I will in X minutes." He doesn't seem to be doing it when I hold the baby so I don't think it's directly linked to jealousy. I try to spend an hour playing with him alone when the baby is taking a nap too. I understand that he's 2 but the whining and crocodile tears are driving me crazy! Help....
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 6 years ago.
One tactic is to have a timer as to the next time you can hold him. that way he can visually see when it is time to be held and this may prevent him from asking. Another strategy is to have things for him to do to keep busy. If he is bored then of course he is going to come to you. Try these two strategies and see if it helps. Also keep doing what you are doing with the individual time with him; that is great.