Jennifer
Jennifer, School Psychologist
Experience:  Collaborative parent consultation on everything from modifying behavior to child development.
30853534

whats the best way for a busy mom to save time

Customer Question

what's the best way for a busy mom to save time?
Category: Parenting
Expert:  Linda Roch replied 4 years ago.

The best way to save time is to really organize your schedule. Allot a specific amount of time for each task or activity and make sure to end the task and activity whenever the time is up, even if it may not be done. Then, add time in to finish the next day. This way, you can always incorporate free time into your schedule. Of course, if something is urgent, you should finish it right away, but very few things take this kind of priority.

Your kids come first but you need to come first sometimes as well in order to be the best mom you can be, and that is why organization is extremely important in time management. A happy mom is one that is organized and rested and I think if you try this method, you will be on your way to more time to do things that you don't get to do now.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I need more real advice -- like use a certain phone with these certain applications, or a really tangible way to use technology to be organized, etc. Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX is not that helpful and I would like to "reject answer" and get my money back. Any way to do that?
Expert:  green-owl replied 4 years ago.
HelloCustomer i could help you with that. The problem is that as individual we all do lot of different things. To help me help you i would need 4 or 5 of the routine task you perform you think are the most time sucker, from there i would have a good idea of your life style. Mentioning the ages of the kids would give good info also. If you currently end the days with a time surplus or a time deficit i would also like to know it, and also the kind of time you target saving in a week.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Expert:  Jennifer replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thanks for using Justanswer.com!

It sounds like you're looking specifically for phone app suggestions... I am a busy mom and rely heavily on my iPhone to help me organize my time. Yesterday, for instance, my toddler had a dance class at 11. While waiting for class to start I used my iPhone to check e-mail. I then went to my favorite task manager app, Things. My to do list included buying a birthday gift for my best friend from college. My daughter's dance class began and I used the Amazon app to order two new paperbacks and had them shipped directly to my friend. I used Camera Zoom to take close-up photos of my daughter dancing (something the iPhone can't do by itself) and sent them to my husband at work as an attachment to a text message. After class I buckled my daughter into her carseat with a snack and turned on The Best of Elmo. She listened to her favorite CD while I spent a few minutes in the parking lot checking my Things list once again. Next item on the list: Make a dinner reservation for Saturday. Open Table is the app I use to make reservations. After booking dinner for two I jumped on my Facebook app to send a message to our babysitter, "Available Saturday at 6?" Between 11 and 12 I accompanied my daughter to her favorite class, took pictures to share with her Dad, bought / delivered a birthday gift for a friend, made a dinner reservation, and had contacted the babysitter about Saturday night. I'd call that a pretty productive hour.

There are a few other apps I use frequently to help me organize my time as well. Grocery Gadget is a grocery list app that lets me divide my lists by stores and has every possible grocery item I've ever needed already in its system. If I ever run across something it doesn't have, it has a feature for me to add that item. A few times I've been in the store and decided to make something for dinner because I found an item on sale. A quick recipe search under Epicurious or Big Oven tells me everything I need for my list of ingredients.

I've found my iPhone to be a lifesaver when it comes to getting things done. It lets me order gifts, reminds me when I need to take a medication (Calendar), keeps me in touch, organizes my shopping, and helps me find something new to make for dinner when I'm stuck in a rut. I even used it to answer this question.

I hope this has been helpful!
Jennifer, School Psychologist
Experience: Collaborative parent consultation on everything from modifying behavior to child development.